SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – Just when you thought you were going to be $125 richer.
Sorry, you may not be getting that Equifax data breach settlement money after all.
The Federal Trade Commission says so many people are asking for cash payments linked the 2017 data breach that there may not be enough money for everyone.
As part of a $300 million settlement, people impacted by the data breach were offered free credit monitoring or a check for up to $125.
But because of the high response, there simply isn’t enough money to go around.
The FTC is suggesting people choose free credit monitoring rather than a $125 check.
Latest News Headlines:
- Sheriff: 3 jailed and charged with child abuse in one of the “worst cases” ever
- 17 sailors, 4 civilians injured as crews battle fire at San Diego-based Navy ship
- Four-star LB Greg Penn commits to LSU
- Applications for Louisiana front-line worker stimulus checks begin next week
- LDH reports 3,308 deaths due to COVID-19, and 78,122 confirmed cases now in Louisiana