LAKE CHARLES, La. (KLFY) – The Lake Charles Police Department announces the death of retired K-9 Barry.
K-9 Barry served the Lake Charles Police Department from 2012-2018 as a dual-purpose K-9. Barry was hired in March of 2012 and worked alongside Sgt. Michael Treadway until Barry’s retirement in December of 2018.
Trained in tracking, handler protection, building searches, narcotic detection and criminal apprehension, K-9 Barry had more than 70 apprehensions. Throughout his decorated career, K-9 Barry assisted multiple agencies with countless drug seizures, evidence locations, and apprehensions of fleeing suspects.
He was awarded multiple Chief’s Commendations for his exceptional work and in 2015 he was recognized by the National Police Canine Association for the South Central Region Patrol Case of the Quarter (3rd Qtr.).
- How did Saint Nicholas inspire the Santa Claus legend?
- PedWest to close yet again less than a month after reopening
- Senators grapple with aftershocks of Tuberville blockade
- Texas lawmakers want less red tape for proposed border crossings
- A classic scene from ‘Elf’ was almost scrapped at the request of Macy’s, according to the director