Friends, family, parties, and travel are what make the holiday season great. You can make it even better by reducing waste as often as possible during your celebrations. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) wants to help make your holidays as green as they can be with these tips for reducing waste and conserving resources.
• Bring your own reusable bag when shopping for gifts. Buy items made with minimal packaging and recycled content.
• Wrap gifts in recycled or reused paper. Consider gifts that don’t use much wrapping, such as gift cards or concert tickets.
• Package baked goods in reusable or recyclable containers as gifts.
Parties and events:
• Use reusable plates, glasses and silverware at parties. Make sure guests know where your recycling bin is for cans, bottles or other recyclable items they use.
• Share leftover food with family and friends. Donate untouched leftovers to a food bank or homeless shelter.
• After the party, fill the dishwasher completely before running it. You’ll save water and energy by running fewer cycles.
Reduction and reuse are the most effective ways you can save natural resources, protect the environment and save money. Reduction prevents pollution caused by processing raw materials, saves energy, reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change and saves money.
More on reducing and reusing: http://www.epa.gov/recycle/reducing-and-reusing-basics