It’s the most wonderful time of the year and many are celebrating by lighting up the skies.
And while fireworks can certainly be fun, they can definitely be dangerous.
Bronson Moss, with the Monroe Fire Department, says misuse of fireworks could cause injuries and fires.
“One thing to keep in mind about fireworks is that they’re a small explosive… Fireworks tend to travel, if they’re a projectile type firework, it will go from wherever you light it to wherever it lands and of course, wherever it lands could cause a fire as well,” says Moss.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 10,000 people ended up in the emergency room last year due to injuries from fireworks; many of those injuries could have been avoided.
“There’s safety rules that the manufacturer has with the fireworks for a reason… Always want to use them in accordance with the way the manufacturer wants you to use them,” says Moss.
Moss offers some tips when it comes to staying safe when handling fireworks:
“You never want to use fireworks near anything that is flammable, gasoline, kerosene, things of that nature. You also never want to use them indoors.”
You also want to keep fireworks out of the hands of little ones, even something as innocent as a sparkler can cause second and third degree burns.
“Always have an adult present and supervise children; children love fireworks and they’re curious a and they’re not always going to use the firework in the manner the manufacturer intended,” says Moss.